Each Christmas, there has to be at least one cookie with mint, right?
Chocolate Mint Thumbprints
Adapted from Provecho Peru
290 g (2 cups) flour
75 g (2/3 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
227 g (1 cup) butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
210 g (1/2 cup) sugar
120 g (3/4 cup) chocolate chips
3 tablespoons (45 g) butter
1/2 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy, add egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour mix and beat until just combined.
- Place 210 g (1/2 cup) sugar in a small bowl. Roll dough into 2.5 cm/1-inch balls, then roll in sugar. Place balls on baking sheets and bake for 8 minutes. Take out of the oven and make a small indentation in the center of each ball. This works best using the bottom of a wooden cooking spoon. Bake cookies for another 5 minutes and let cool.
- Melt the chocolate and butter and add peppermint extract. Let cool a bit, then put into small plastic bad, cut off a tiny corner, and pipe chocolate into 'thumbprints'. Allow chocolate to harden.
I omitted the 1 tablespoon of shortening in the chocolate filling (which didn't cause any problems).
Very good! A bit like a brownie cookie with filling.