December 16, 2012

50.2/52 Cardamom Cookies with Rock Candy Sugar / Kardamomkekse mit Kandis


If you read my last post you might wonder what my 'classics' are, the cookies I make every Christmas including this year:
Basler Brunsli (chocolate cookie from Basel, Switzerland)
Vanillekipferl (vanilla crescents)
Witwenküsse ('widow kisses' - merinuges with chocolate and almonds)
Feenspitzen ('fairy tips' - the best EVER! cookie with Toffifee candy with meringue...)
Lebkuchen (the German classic, no need for translation I think)
Zimtsterne (cinnamon stars)

Then there are some 'infrequent-classics' that I don't make every year but every 2 to 3 years. Of those I made this year:
Kokosberge (coconut mountains)

You can see (almost) all cookies I made this year in this post.

And one of the new recipes this year:

Cardamom Cookies with Rock Candy Sugar / Kardamomkekse mit Kandis
Adapted from some magazin that I unfortunately don't remember. And it doesn't say on this one page that I ripped out. If anyone knows, please comment. Thanks!

75 g (1/3 cup or 5 tablespoons) butter, room temperature
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
1 knife point lemon zest
1 egg
110 g (1 cup) flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
80 g (2.8 oz) brown rock candy/sugar
vanilla sugar
  • Beat butter with sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add egg and continue to beat. Quickly work in flour and cardamom. 
  • Grind rock candy/sugar coarsely (works best in a mortar), fold into the dough. Cool dough for 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F) (180°C (350°F) convection).
  • Make small balls and put onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Leave enough room between the balls. 
  • Bake for about 12 minutes until golden brown. Roll in vanilla sugar when still warm.

My modifications:
None. Except for the recipe just saying 'flour' without the measurement. I just guessed/tried.

The taste:
Very good. I'm still a little undecided about the rock candy/sugar though. I hope you have good teeth as they make the cookies quite crunchy... Could be one of those 'infrequent-classics' but I'm not quite sure yet.

What are your 'classics' to bake every Christmas?

No comments:

Post a Comment