December 1, 2013

48*52 Lebkuchen-Kuchen (Gingerbread Cake)

Some things or words cannot really be translated. The German "Lebkuchen" is such a thing. Gingerbread just isn't really the same thing but I guess it's what comes closest.

Since today is not only December 1st but also the 1st of advent, I wanted to bake something christmasy. But not cookies yet - I'm just not ready for them (and all the effort going into them). So this cake sounded quick, easy, and christmasy. What more could I ask for?

Lebkuchen-Kuchen (Gingerbread Cake)

400 g (3 cups plus 2 tablespoons) flour
300 g (1 1/2 cups) sugar
1 pack (15 g or 4 teaspoons) Lebkuchen (Gingerbread) spice 
1 pack (17 g or 4 teaspoons) baking powder
5 eggs
250 g (2.2 sticks) butter
250 ml (1 cup) water, lukewarm
  • Combine all ingredients, except for the water, and mix until combined. 
  • Add water slowly and mix until dough is smooth. 
  • Pour into prepared baking tin and bake at 180°C (360°F) for 40-50 minutes.
My modifications:
I used rice flour. Just because I wanted to try it. So my version is gluten-free.
I also cut back on the sugar and only used 200 g (1 cup) instead of 300 g (1 1/2 cups).

The taste:
Okayish. It's probably the rice flour (which I have never baked with before so I don't really know) but I just didn't like the consistency. It was very sandy, if you know what I mean. And the Lebkuchen/gingerbread taste wasn't as strong as I expected and hoped for. And it needs some kind of frosting.
I think I should just ignore all cakes or muffins that have something to do with Lebkuchen, because I was already disappointed last year...

Have you ever been disappointed by the same flavor in a different recipes?


1 comment:

  1. Uns ist aufgefallen, dass Ihr Blog viele leckere Rezepte hat! Wir würden uns dafür freuen, wenn Sie sich auf Rezeptefinden.de registrieren, damit wir auf ihn verweisen können.

    Rezeptefinden ist eine Suchmaschine, die hunderte Blogs und Kochseiten aus Deutschland zusammenstellt, und die Blogger profitieren davon, dass Rezeptefinden ihre Seite weiter bekannt macht.

    Um sich auf Rezeptefinden registrieren, gehen Sie einfach auf http://www.rezeptefinden.de/top-food-blogs-hinzufügen


    Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
    Rezeptefinden.de

    ReplyDelete