September 1, 2013

35*52 Plum Crumble Cake

Can you believe it is September already? I can't. And I don't want to. 
Even though I love fall. Doesn't make sense, does it?

One great thing about fall are plums. I know, I know, it is still summer.
But we can already enjoy a bit of plum-crumble-cake action, can't we?
Especially when it's fast and easy as the one below.


 Plum Crumble Cake
Adapted from Lecker.de

225 g butter
750 g plums
350 g flour
150 g ground almonds
150 g sugar
1 sachet vanilla sugar or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg
  • Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). 
  • Melt the butter and let cool. Cut plums in half or quarters, take out pits.
  • Combine flour, almonds, sugar, vanilla (sugar), cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
  • Add egg and melted butter and mix with a fork, then using your hands.
  • Take 2/3 of the crumble dough and press to the bottom of a greased springform pan.
  • Distribute plums evenly and crumble remaining 1/3 of the crumble dough over plums.
  • Bake for 40-50 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.

My modifications:
Okay. I wanted to bake this spontaneously. Not having to go to the store before. And then I realized that I didn't have enough of most of the ingredients at home. But it still worked:
- 190 g butter plus 35 g oil,
- flour and ground almonds instead of 500 g flour,
- 150 g sugar instead of 175 g,
- half a mashed banana instead of the egg.

The taste:
Very yummy! A little too wintery or even christmassy with the cinnamon - I would definitely omit this next time. But the addition of the ground almonds is so good! Please do it if you can. As you can imagine, the bottom is not fluffy at all. But especially on the second day after baking, when the plum juices soaked through the bottom - heavenly!

Have you ever changed a recipe because you didn't have enough of each of the ingredients at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment