May 19, 2013

20*52 Peach Tart

My grandma requested this cake.

Actually no, that's not true.

I asked her what cake I should make to bring when we visit her. She wanted Bienenstich (which means bee sting in English), a typical German cake. But Bienenstich has a filling of either whipped cream or a pudding-like vanilla cream and both are not really suitable for a 3-4 hour drive in warmer weather. But that's how long we need to get to her. She couldn't think of an alternative but said: nothing dry, no cake.

Okaaaayyyy....
 
This made me think of something with fruit. So I flipped through the pages of my fruit cake book and came across the Peach Tart recipe.
And my grandma loved it. What more could you ask for.

Peach Tart
Adapted from Obstkuchen

1 big can of peaches (about 500 g net weight)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
200 g heavy cream
100 g sugar
1 tablespoon starch
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
75 g butter
250 g strudel, yufka or filo dough
  • Drain the peaches and set aside.
  • Whisk together eggs, cream, vanilla, sugar, starch, and lemon peel.
  • Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Line a tarte form (or quiche form or springform pan) with parchment paper.
  • Melt the butter. Put two sheets of dough in form so that they hang over the sides. Brush with a bit of the melted butter. Put another sheet of dough on top. Continue until you used up all the dough. Put the peach halves on the last sheet of dough and pour egg mixture over it.
  • Bake on the second lowest oven rack for about 40 minutes.
My modifications:
I used canned peaches instead of fresh ones. It saves time and I think that it is totally okay for baking.
The dough that was hanging over the edge of the form burned so I had to break it off but it still looked pretty enough so I probably wouldn't bother cutting it off before baking next time.


The taste:
Very peachy, juicy, summery. And so quick and easy. Definitely a keeper.

What was the last cake you baked upon someone's request?

No comments:

Post a Comment