May 12, 2013

19*52 Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake

I heard Joy and Tracy mention this cake in one of their podcasts. And I had to try it.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake
Adapted from Shutterbean

225 g (8 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 teaspoon water or bourbon
2 tablespoons flour
100 g (1 cup) rolled oats
114 g (1 stick) butter
2 eggs
160 g (3/4 cup) sugar
250 g (1 1/4 cups) brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
210 g (1 1/2 cups) flour

Frosting
55 g (4 tablespoons) butter, room temperature
170 g (6 oz) cream cheese
125 g (1 cup) powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • In a small bowl, mix chocolate chips with water (or bourbon) and 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.
  • Put oats and butter in a medium bowl and pour 300 ml (1 1/4 cups) boiling water over them. Stir and set aside for about 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F)
  • In a big bowl, whisk together eggs, sugars, salt, baking soda and powder, and cinnamon. Fold in oatmeal until well combined. Fold in flour and chocolate chips.
  • Pour into prepared 23 x 33 cm (9 x 13 in) baking pan. Bake 25-45 minutes (see comment below) until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
  • For the frosting, beat all ingredients together until smooth. Spread evenly over cooled cake. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes before serving. Store covered cake in the fridge for up to 3 days.

My modifications:
None. But I did use water (and not bourbon).
The original recipe says to bake the cake for 40-45 minutes. I did the toothpick test after 25 minutes because I already thought the top looked brown enough and it did come out clean so I took it out after 25 minutes. Just keep an eye on the cake and do the toothpick test when you feel it could be done. Adjust the baking time accordingly.

The taste:
It is good. But I have to say that the frosting is my favorite part. Maybe I will omit the cake next time. No, that's a bit too harsh. I guess I'm saying that I probably won't make the cake again but the frosting I definitely will.

Have you heard people talk about a recipe and then want to try it right afterwards?

No comments:

Post a Comment