September 16, 2012

37/52 Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones

Another recipe that has been waiting to be tried for a loooong time.

Excuse me for being a bit short-spoken this week and just presenting you the recipe.

Skinny Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Scones
Adapted from Skinny Taste

Makes 12 scones

200 ml (3/4 cup) buttermilk
50 g (1/4 cup) sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 egg
250 g (2 cups) flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
120 g (3/4 cup) chocolate chips

  • Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, sugar, vanilla extract, and egg.
  • In a big bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in cold butter and cut mix with knife until it resembles coarse meal. Fold in chocolate chips. Add buttermilk mix and stir until just moist.
  • Form dough into a 23 cm (9 in) circle and place on a baking sheet. Cut dough into 12 wedges.
  • Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden. Best eaten when still warm.

My modifications:
I only used all purpose flour, not half all purpose, half white whole weat flour.
I also did not brush the scones with an egg white and sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar over it before baking. Embarrassingly enough, I just totally forgot...
My dough was a bit on the wet side so I couldn't knead it or form it with my hands, but that wasn't a problem. I also could not really cut the slices before baking, which also did not turn out as a problem.

The taste:
Very good! Nice with a cup of tea (or whatever else you feel like drinking with it...). Definitely tastes better when still a bit warm and just out of the oven.

Any "skinny" baking recipes you would like to share? Please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment