I have to agree with Molly. Like her, I do believe in everyday cake.
And the recipe below is just that. Everyday cake.
Simple. Easy. Quick. Comforting.
Busy-Day Cake by Edna Lewis
114 g (1 stick) butter, room temperature
270 g (1 1/3 cups) sugar
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
260 g (2 cups) flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch (or more) nutmeg, freshly grated
120 ml (1/2 cup) whole milk, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add flour mix and milk alternatingly to the butter mix, and beat on low speed to incorporate.
- Pour batter into prepared pan (25 x 25 cm / 10 x 10 in), spreading it evenly across the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Serve warm (if possible).
Simple and comforting. And not boring.
It has the same comforting feeling as mashed potatoes. Probably because of the nutmeg :)
Do you have a favorite everyday cake recipe? Please share!