January 20, 2013

3*52 Orange & White Chocolate Cake

White Chocolate has totally grown on me in the last couple of years.
Not really sure why (not that it matters...).

And white chocolate and oranges is an excellent combination (at least in my imagination) so I finally had to make this cake which I had pinned on my Pinterest baking board a while ago...

Orange & White Chocolate Cake
Adapted from Bobbie's Baking Blog

Cake:
235 g (1 1/2 cups) flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pintch fo salt
113 g (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
300g (1 1/2 cups) sugar
115 g (1/2 cup) heavy cream
50 g (1/2 cup) sour creme
116 g (1/2 cup) mascarpone
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange zest
200 g (7/8 cup) white chocolate chunks

Glaze:
powdered sugar
orange juice

  • Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F)
  • Beat butter and sugar until well blended. Add orange zest. Add cream, sour cream, and mascarpone and mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and vanilla extract. Alternating, add both mixes to the cream-sugar mix. Fold in the white chocolate chunks.
  • Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes. Let cool.
  • For the glaze, combine powdered sugar and orange juice. Pour over the cake and allow to set. 

My modifications:
I used packaged orange zest (and just regular orange zest not blood orange zest). Because I was a bit lazy and because I couldn't find organic blood oranges. I also used 2 packages of the zest because I am usually disappointed that something doesn't taste as intense as I imagined it to be so I took precautions...
The also invented my own glaze with orange juice because I thought it would go well with the cake.

The taste:
I really don't know what's wrong with me... Not enough orange flavor - again... But otherwise pretty good. Even though the white chocolate might be a bit too much (maybe I would cut the amount in half next time?).

Any flavor that you never really taste in the goodies you bake or cook?

No comments:

Post a Comment