April 15, 2015

15 | 52 Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting

A classic. Always good. Comfort food.

Also perfect for Easter. 
I know, I know. Easter is over. 
But it will come around again next year, right?

 All muffins were gone before I had a chance to photograph them...

Carrot Cake Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting

Muffins
320 g (2 1/2 cups) flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon all-spice
300 g (1 1/2 cups) sugar
110 g (1/2 cup) packed brown sugar
4 eggs
240 ml (1 cup) vegetable oil
120 g (1/2 cup) sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 medium/big carrots, shredded

Frosting
225 g (8 oz) cream cheese
113 g (1/2 cup) butter, softened
500 g (4 cups) powdered sugar
2 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • Preheat oven to 175ºC (350ºF). Line muffin tin with paper cups.
  • Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda and powder, and spices) in a bowl.
  • In a big bowl, beat eggs. Add sugars, oil, sour cream, and vanilla and mix until combined. Add flour mix slowly until just combined. Fold in carrots.
  • Fill muffin papers 2/3 and bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool.
  • For the frosting, beat together cream cheese and butter. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Add vanilla. Frost muffins as you like.
    My modifications: 
    I reduced the white sugar to 200 g (1 cup), I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil, and I reduced the amount of powdered sugar in the frosting (because 500 g/4 cups is just an insanely high amount...)
    Next time, I would reduce the overall amount of ingredients by 1/3 because I had way to much batter. Besides the regular muffin pan with 12 muffins, I was also able to fill 6 small paper loaf forms... 

    The taste:
    Good but I've had better carrot cake. It didn't really taste like carrots, actually. And it also wasn't very moist. It also wasn't dry - don't get me wrong - but it wasn't 'carrot-cake-moist'. Do you know what I mean? So all in all they were okay but I will most likely not make this recipe again.

    Do you have a favorite Carrot Cake recipe?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment