October 13, 2013

41*52 Banana-Cranberry-Cake

I had just bough dried cranberries. For nothing in particular.

Then I had to think about what kind of cake the hubby could take to work for his birthday.
And the cranberries came to mind again.
Good that there were some very ripe bananas laying around as well.

Banana-Cranberry-Cake
Adapted slightly from Baking By Flavor via Technicolor Kitchen

280 g (2 cups) flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teapsoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
80 g (3/4 cup) dried cranberries, chopped if too large
140 g (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons) butter, room temperature
200 g (1 cup) sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 ripe bananas, mashed
70 g (1/4 cup) sour cream or yogurt
  • Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F). 
  • Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, toss cranberries with 1 teaspoon of the flour mix. Mix mashed bananas with sour cream.
  • Cream butter with the sugar for about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, add vanilla.
  • Alternately add flour mix and banana mix. Add cranberries.
  • Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake for about 55 minutes.
  • Let cool. Dust with powdered sugar if you want.
My modifications:
The original recipe calls for 1 stick butter and 2 tablespoons shortening. Since I never have shortening in the house, I only used butter.

The taste:
Good. But somehow not very special. I don't know - I just felt like something is missing or even that the banana-cranberry combo is not my favorite one. So I probably won't make it again. But it's not bad or anything - so please do try it! Maybe you'll love it.

What is your favorite baking recipe using dried cranberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment