May 27, 2012

21/52 Johanna's Almond-Cherry Cake

I promise. Really. No cake will be easier and faster to make than this one.

And it is a recipe by my great-grandmother Johanna. Which makes it even more special, don't you think?

When trying to decide what to bake this week, I looked through a recipe book where I collected and wrote down baking recipes over the years. I totally forgot that this recipe was in there! Since I have never made it before (shame on me), it only took a split second to decide that this will be this week's cake.

Johanna's Almond-Cherry Cake
Inherited from my great grandmother

250 g (2 cups) ground almonds
250 g (1 1/4 cups) sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 eggs
1 glass of cherries (350 g or 12.3 oz after draining from juice)

  • Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
  • Mix almonds, sugar, baking powder and eggs.
  • Pour into prepared springform pan.
  •  Spread cherries onto batter and bake for 45 minutes.

My modifications:
None.
But when preparing the springform pan, I buttered it and then didn't use flour for dusting but also ground almonds.

The taste:
Very good! Basic, but good!
It does taste a bit like an omelette - but that's what happens when you use 6 eggs.

Which recipes have been in your family for a long time?

1 comment:

  1. Liebe Sarah, ich muss ja zugeben, dass ich meistens froh bin morgens beim Bäcker gewesen zu sein und süsse Teilchen mitgenommen habe,oder mein Tagesbedarf an Süssem gedeckt ist, bevor ich deinen Blog anklicke :)Köstlich schaut es aus und wieder fein präsentiert.
    Liebe Grüsse von Ildi

    ReplyDelete