Coconut and buttermilk. Sounds like the perfect pair for a cake, right?
I thought so.
There was some buttermilk in the fridge that needed to be used up and I hadn't baked anything with coconut in such a long time, so this seemed to be the perfect recipe:
Coconut Buttermilk Cake
From Gonna Want Seconds
For the cake:
170 g (1 1/2 sticks) butter, room temperature
260 g (2 cups) flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
200 g (1 cup) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
240 ml (1 cup) buttermilk
120 g (1 1/4 cups) shredded coconut
For the glaze:
2 tablespoons buttermilk
25 g (1/4 cup) shredded coconut
130 g (1 cup) powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 175°C (350°F).
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Beat together butter and sugar for 5 minutes. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Add buttermilk and flour mix alternatingly. Fold in coconut.
- Pour batter into prepared pan (loaf or bundt cake) and bake for about 60 minutes. Let cool.
- Bake remaining shredded coconut for about 5-10 minutes in the oven until golden brown (be careful not to burn it). Let cool.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and buttermilk. Drizzle over cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Good! Very moist and 'milky'. And coconutty, of course.
What's your favorite coconut recipe?