You know the drill...
New banana recipe up on the blog = I needed to use up my overripe bananas ;)
But it's all good!
Because that way we can all try many yummy banana baking recipes together.
So: long live the overripe banana.
Without it, the baking world would not be the same.
Whole Wheat Banana Streusel Muffins
Adapted from Baked by Rachel
For the muffins
60 g (1/4 cup) butter, softened
100 g (1/2 cup) light brown sugar
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
190 g (1 1/2 cup) whole wheat flour
For the streusel
65 g (1/2 cup) whole wheat flour
4 tablespoons light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
60 g (1/4 cup) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 175ºC (350ºF).
- For the streusel, whisk together dry ingredients. Add melted butter and stir until crumbly. Let cool in the fridge while you prepare the muffins.
- For the muffins, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs and banana and mix until smooth. Add dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
- Fill your muffin tin with batter, then top with cold streusel - just crumble over the muffin batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let cool.
I halved the amount of sugar for the muffins (the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup granulated and 1/2 cup light brown sugar. With half the amount the muffins were still sweet enough. There was an additional glaze over the streusel in the original recipe which I omitted completely. I'm sure it would have been very yummy but I didn't miss it (and I have the feeling that I was eating something remotely healthy...).
Healthy. But in a good way! Perfect for breakfast.
What is your favorite 'healthy' muffin recipe?