You just gotta do as much as you can using strawberries, while you can.
(Maybe in your part of the world you have fresh strawberries all year round but that's unfortunately not the case in Switzerland...)
You just can't go wrong with blueberries.
Sorry for the very boring pictures - I can't seem to shoot any good pictures before everything's eaten up lately...
Strawberry-Blueberry Crumb Bars
Adapted from the baker upstairs
200 g (1 cup) sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
375 g (3 cups) flour
227 g (1 cup) cold butter, cut into pieces
1 egg, beaten
400 g (2 cups) fresh strawberries
200 g (2 cups) fresh blueberries
100 g (1/2 cup) sugar
4 teaspoons corn starch
- Preheat oven to 190ºC (375ºF).
- Whisk together sugar, baking powder, salt, and flour. Add cold butter and mix in with your hands. Add the egg and make a crumbly dough.
- Press half of the dough onto the bottom of the prepared pan (23cm x 33xm / 9in x 13in).
- Wash your strawberries, chop off the green part and cut into quarters. Mix all berries with the 1/2 cup sugar and corn starch, then spread them on top of the dough in the pan. Crumble the remaining dough evenly over the berry layer.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool.
None. Except for mixing strawberries and blueberries. The original recipe is for either one but not combined.
Very good! Moist from the berries and very summery!
I stored it in the fridge and it actually tasted better the day after baking...
What's your favorite summer bake (with or without fruit)?