June 24, 2012

25/52 Cinnamon Biscotti

I have to admit that I was a little lazy this week - at least when it comes to baking.
When I was thinking about what to bake, I just wanted something quick, easy, small.
Something sweet for nibbling on.

So I was thinking COOKIES! Started searching for new cookie recipes on allrecipes.com which brought me to biscotti recipes. So I thought BISCOTTI! And biscotti it is now.

Cinnamon Biscotti
Adapted from allrecipes.com

250 g (2 cups) flour
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
135 g (2/3 cup) sugar
85 g (6 tablespoons) butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 egg, beaten

40 g (3 tablespoons) sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

  • Mix flour, 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
  • Beat together butter and 135 g (2/3 cup) sugar until creamy. Add both eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients.
  • Divide dough into two parts and roll each part on floured surface into strings of about 23 cm (9 in) length and 4 cm (1 1/2 in) width. Brush with beaten egg.
  • Bake in preheated oven at 165°C (325°F) for 25 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes.
  • Cut into diagonal slices of about 1 cm (1/2 in). Lay slices with cut surface down, sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mix and bake for another 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack and store in cookie jar or tin.

My modifications:
Having read the comments below the recipe I decided to use 2 whole eggs instead of 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk to make the biscotti less crumbly.
If you want your biscotti to be a little soft, use the times indicated above. If you prefer them to be rock-hard, extend both baking times by 5 minutes each.

The taste:
Very, very good! I might have to make them every week now... (or twice a week?)
Perfect with espresso or any other coffee, or just by itself.


What is your favorite cookie (or the like)?

No comments:

Post a Comment