March 4, 2012

9/52 B-O-C-C Scones

I'm so glad that I named this blog 52 cakes *or* a bake a week.
That way, baking something other than cake is totally appropriate. Right?

So let's bake something savory this week.
With Bacon (or not - totally up to you). Spring Onions. Cheese. Chili.

I added this recipe to my baking board on Pinterest for a long time now and I am happy that I finally made it to present it to you now:

B-O-C-C Scones
Adapted from spoon fork bacon

Makes 12 regular or 36 mini scones

310 g (2 cups) flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
50 g (1/2 cup) cold butter, in small cubes
4 strips bacon, fried and crumbled
60 g (2/3 cup) cheese, in very small sticks or cubes
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 red chili, seeds removed and thinly sliced
120 g (1/2 cup) buttermilk
50 g (1/4 cup) cream
  • Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
  • Add cold butter cubes and knead quickly until mixture is mealy again.
  • Add bacon, cheese, onions, and chili and combine.
  • Fold in buttermilk and mix until combined to a dough.
  • Cool dough in fridge for about 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 190 °C (375°F).
  • Roll the dough out to about 1 cm (1/2 in) thick and cut out circles of about 7 cm (3 in) for regular scones or 2 cm (1 in) for mini scones.
  • Put on lined baking sheet and brush tops with a bit of cream.
  • Bake for 20-25 minutes (regular size) or 15-20 minutes (mini size) or until the tops start to brown.
    Enjoy these straight from the oven, they are so good when still steaming hot. But stored in an airtight container, they still taste delicious the next day - I just tried it to make sure...

    My modifications:
    The above recipe (and its name) is already modified to how I made it but there are only two small differences to the original recipe anyway:
    I used Cheddar cheese, cut into tiny sticks, instead of grated Gruyere cheese.
    And I added the chili because I do like it hot. (Yes, it sounds funny, but it's true...)

    The taste:
    Just delicious!
    Perfect fingerfood for a party. Or a brunch buffet. Or any occasion, really.
    And they are so easy and quick to make. 
    What are your favorite savory baking recipes?

    2 comments:

    1. What a gorgeous blog! And your scones look quite delicious too (I love that you threw in some chili)! :D

      ReplyDelete